2012/04/09

Testing, Testing, 1-2-1-2

To test an app, first thing you need is for Eclipse to not report any errors.

Then you need to feel that there is enough of your app complete to be worth testing. For instance, I don't really-truly care about whether the home screen looks right, if all I can do is look at it. I want to know whether it works when I press buttons.

Then you Save All (Ctrl+Shift+S), and finally you go to the green and white Button for "Run Wedding Logistics".

Having already specified a test machine (in my case using the specs for my own Android phone), it should just load up. Be aware though, this step can be veeeery slow.
And...ah. Oh dear:
Well, at least you can see what Toast looks like! As well, of course, as the appearance of the testing software [which is included in Eclipse].

It does occur to me that most programming I've done will talk about de-bugging, and this seemed to be more of a 'run program' option. Hmmm. *Looks around* Aha!
I clicked on this:
I should have gone for this:
The Debug button. Debugging is one of those terms that is more literal than you think - while the origins are obscure, it was popularised in the days of the first computers, vast buildings full of valves such as Colossus or ENIAC. - when it was possible for a bug like a moth to get into the works and cause the machine to behave in unexpected ways. The archetypal bug is pictured here.

I believe my error is linked to the fact that the tutorials from hackaday were with already completed and tested code - so the bit of seeing it work at the end was just the reward. Anyway, now I hit Debug, so I'll see what pops out:
Source not found.
Ah. I have no idea. Will have to come back to this once I've done some more reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment